Saturday, December 28, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Steph's Top YA picks for 2013!

Best YA book 2013

10. Clockwork Princess, by Cassandra Clare: I have a love/hate relationship with Cassandra Clare, but was thrilled with her conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

9. Going Vintage, by Lindsay Leavitt:  I don’t enjoy a lot of chick-lit, but I loved this quirky book about a girl who shuns all things modern in the hopes of getting her life back on track.

8. All the Truth That’s In Me, by Julie Berry: Part historical fiction, part mystery and part thriller, this is a book that fits in multiple categories, but this tale about a girl who disappeared only to return after two years with her tongue cut out is impossible to put down.

7. The Madman’s Daughter, by Meghan Shepherd: What if Dr. Moreau (of the Island of Doctor Moreau) had a daughter?  Shepherd’s take-off from the classic novella is a creepy thriller that you shouldn’t read before bed!

6. Scarlet, by Marissa Meyer:  I loved how Meyer’s incorporates Little Red Riding Hood into the second of her steampunk series.

5. Boxers & Saints, by Gene Luen Yang:  Okay, I cheated, these are two books.  But, they are companion novels and look so cool side-by-side, I’m giving myself a free pass.  Plus they are graphic novels, so you can read both in less time than it would take you to read any of the other books on this list!  They tell the story of China’s Boxer rebellion, and are so good you will devour both  in one sitting.

4. Star Cursed, by Jessica Spotswood:  Curse you Jessica Spotswood for making me wait until AUGUST 2014 for the third book!  When the second book is better than the first (Born Wicked) it should be illegal to make readers wait this long.  This re-imagined New England of witches, the Brotherhood and illicit romances had me on the edge of my seat – and I’m still there!

3. Two Boys Kissing, by David Levithan:  I don’t cry often when reading a book, but David Levithan  managed to so beautifully capture raw and real emotion of seven teens  in different stages of relationships and discovering themselves, that I couldn’t help but tear up.

2. Maggot Moon, by Sally Gardner:  Standish Treadwell is different from the “train-track thinkers” and he discovers a dark secret about what is on the other side of the wall.  But the Motherland wants it to stay secret.  This book goes off the train tracks and takes you for a unique ride.

1. Eleanor & Park, by Rainbow Rowell:  I loved Eleanor and Park so much, that I stopped reading it because I didn’t want to let them go.  Heartbreaking and funny, and wonderfully written, this is my favorite YA book of the year.

What are YOUR top picks for 2013?
Honorable Mentions:
This is What Happy Looks Like, by Jennifer Smith
Curtsies & Conspiracies, by Gail Carriger
Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell
Somebody Up There Hate You, by Hollis Seamon
If You Find Me, by Emily Murdock
Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong, by Prudence Shen
Best YA book 2013
All titles are available at the Coventry Public Library!